How we use Cookies

Criminal who killed Hesketh Bank dad is jailed after returning to stealing cars

Craig Abbott is locked up again after more offences

Craig Michael Abbott who police have still not traced after he failed to show up to Liverpool Crown Court
Craig Michael Abbott who police have still not traced after he failed to show up to Liverpool Crown Court

A reckless criminal who killed a dad-of-three in a bungled airport car-jacking ten years ago is back in jail – after admitting he had returned to stealing cars.

Craig Abbott, 31, was locked up in 2004 after pleading guilty to the manslaughter of Michael Howard, whose car he tried to steal as the 57-year-old businessman unloaded luggage outside Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

Mr Howard, from Hesketh Bank, had been due to fly out to Malaga to spend time at a home he had just bought, but the carjacking went wrong and the family man was crushed to death in front of his wife.

He was caught between his own Volvo, driven by Abbott’s accomplice, and the car Craig Abbott was driving.

Abbott was jailed for seven and a half years.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that in February 2012, Abbott had been involved in the burglary of an black Audi A3 from a property in Rudston Road, Childwall, after hooking the keys through the letterbox.

Geoff Lowe, prosecuting, told the court that the car was low on petrol and ground to a halt just yards from where it was stolen.

Abbott and his brother, Tony, jumped out of the car and ran away.

He denied having anything to do with the burglary and was bailed, but just a few months later he was arrested for an attempted burglary in Walton, again following a chase by police.

He pleaded guilty to that matter at trial but then jumped bail in January last year.

Abbott, of Benedict Street, Bootle, was given a four-month prison sentence by another judge for absconding, which he has already served.

He pleaded guilty to the Childwall burglary and taking a conveyance without authority after forensic evidence proved he had been in the car.

Judge Thomas Teague, QC, jailed him for a total of 40 months, less time spent on remand.

comments powered by Disqus