How we use Cookies

Former West Lancashire chief inspector Kevin Boyce found guilty of assault

A HIGH-RANKING police inspector assaulted two guests at a private party, a court heard.

A HIGH-RANKING police inspector assaulted two guests at a private party, a court heard.

Kevin Boyce, 53, was the chief inspector of West Lancashire when he attacked his victims at a private function at a West Lancashire hotel in March last year.

Boyce retired from his post with Lancashire Constabulary shortly after his arrest.

St Helens Magistrates Court was told how his own officers were called to reports of a disturbance at the Best Western Lancashire Manor Hotel, in Prescot Road, Skelmersdale, on March 16.

Boyce was found guilty by magistrates after a trial and was ordered to pay £150 compensation to one victim, £100 to another, and £1,200 in costs.

A Lancashire Constabulary spokesman said: “We expect the highest standards of our officers and staff, both on and off duty, and Mr Boyce’s behaviour on this occasion fell below that expected standard.”

Boyce was born in Merseyside but started his career at the Metropolitan Police in London in 1983 before transferring to Lancashire three years later.

He rose up the ranks in West Lancashire, serving as a sergeant between 1991 and 1996, before posts in Rossendale, Blackpool and at the constabulary’s HQ in Hutton.

He became chief inspector for West Lancashire in 2012.

Boyce lived in Tolsey Drive, Hutton, outside Preston, yards away from the force’s HQ. Boyce was also head coach of Hutton Rugby Club, but left the club around a year ago.

Cathy Sockett, who hosted the party at the Best Western Lancashire Manor Hotel contacted The Advertiser to talk about Boyce’s abusive behaviour at the private function.

Cathy said: “Boyce physically assaulted two of my guests and threatened to remove the alcohol licence from Lancashire Manor if they didn't do as he wanted.

“He was sick by the buffet and needed police in the ambulance with him as he was so abusive.

“He completely ruined the party and I’m glad the judge’s summing up was completely damning after three days of evidence at St Helens magistrates court.”

comments powered by Disqus