Feb 6 2014 by Sophie McCoid, Ormskirk Advertiser
FIREFIGHTERS managed to save a menagerie of animals after a fire broke out in a house in Ormskirk.
Crews were called to the house on Parker Crescent at 4:05pm on Saturday, February 1 after neighbours saw smoke coming from the windows.
The neighbours believed the occupants of the house were not in the building as their car was gone, however they thought that their pet animals may still be trapped inside.
Three fire crews attended the scene, two fire engines coming from Skelmersdale and one from Ormskirk.
Four firefighters had to break down the door to gain entry to the burning building as the house was locked.
After a thorough search by crews it was established that there was no one trapped inside the building but the firemen did manage to rescue several pets that were inside the smoke-filled house.
Crews rescued two Alsatian dogs, two parrots and a cat from the flames. Police were called to the scene by firefighters who thought the blaze may be suspicious.
However this was eventually ruled out and the fire put down to an electrical fault.
The house was so badly damaged by the fire that the occupants have had to be taken in by friends and family as the house has been left uninhabitable and contractors were called and the house was boarded up.
Richard Edney, communications officer for Lancashire Fire and Rescue, said:“The fire was caused by a plug socket being overloaded in the hallway. When the firefighters arrived at the scene, they were met with smoke issuing from the property.
“Two Alsatian dogs, two parrots and a cat were rescued by firefighters who wore breathing apparatus to get inside the house.
“This fire highlights just what can happen if you overload plug sockets. Ideally, you should use one adaptor per plug and try to keep to one plug per socket.”