Feb 13 2014 by Sophie McCoid, Ormskirk Advertiser
A MUM of five has spoken of her devastation after her house was gutted in a fire earlier this month.
The Advertiser reported the fire in last week’s edition and Kim Johnston, 29, from Ormskirk has come forward to talk about her experience.
Kim was out shopping when someone called her to tell her house on Parker Crescent was on fire.
She immediately rushed home only to find her home in flames after a faulty plug socket caught fire.
Kim said: “I couldn’t believe it when I got the call, it’s just not something you expect to happen.
“The fire service tried an axe and a ram to get into the house before finally cutting a hole in the door.
“The house has been completely ruined, the damage is worse upstairs and lots of our clothes have had to be thrown out.”
The family have a variety of pets including two dogs, a cat, a parrot and a lizard who were all saved from the blaze by firefighters.
Kim is married to Scott and has two 11-year-olds, a nine-year-old, a six-year-old and a two-year-old.
The experience has been especially traumatic for the children as they have had to sort through their charred toys and leave their home where they have lived happily for 12 years.
The council is currently working to install a new kitchen and bathroom into the house and to repair and replace all of the things that have been damaged in the blaze.
Kim said: “It’s been really hard on the kids and us all really, its set us back and we’re currently living with a family member.
“The fire brigade said the fire was due to an overloaded plug socket but all I had plugged in was a lamp which was off and the internet modem so I don’t see how it was overloaded, I think it was more likely a problem with the wiring.
“The council are currently doing work on the house and have said we can expect to be back in the next four to six weeks but I’m always going to be paranoid from now on.
“When the council have finished the work I want the fire brigade to come and check everything out before I move all our stuff back in.
“The fire service said the plug socket was smouldering when they got there, which is terrifying, I’m just glad everyone is safe it could have been so much worse but now I’m worried it could happen again with it being so random, so I’m making sure it gets checked out, for my kids sake more than anything.”