How we use Cookies

Currency cashes-in as title rivals are routed

New Brighton's collapse provides memorable game for all concerned

Ormskirk Cricket Club - Dane Currency

The top of the table clash between Ormskirk and New Brighton had been billed as a crunch match to decide the title and so an expectant crowd turned out with the promise of a close encounter, full of tension and with quality batting and bowling in evidence from both sides.

As the game unfolded the pundits came unstuck and the script writers became aware that they had lost the plot.

Having won the toss, New Brighton elected to bat in the anticipation of leaving the home side chasing a large total to secure any points.

Nicky Caunce and Gavin Griffiths opened the bowling.

The first success came when Griffiths, who the day previously had played for the Lancashire first XI, had the New Brighton stand-in skipper Martyn Evans, caught at first slip by John Armstrong.

It was when David While joined Josh Rylance at the crease with the score at 2-1 that the New Brighton tactics became evident.

The game plan was to play safe and, above all, not lose the game.

As a result they played slow unattractive cricket at two runs an over, slowly building up a second wicket partnership to give the impression that so long as they kept their wickets intact and plod along, all would be well.

The game plan would, in theory, come to fruition in so much as the match would not be lost and a possible victory would be a real bonus.

It was when Ormskirk captain Ian Robinson changed his attack from pace to spin that success came and the New Brighton game plan went pear-shaped.

Dane Currency and Martyn Farrell, in the space of 18 overs, caused havoc with an awesome display of controlled spin bowling, leaving New Brighton in complete disarray.

With the score at 53-1, Currency seduced David While into making a poor stroke and had him caught by Caunce.

The next wicket fell to the bowling of Farrell who, with the score at 53, had opener Josh Rylance (25) caught by Jonny Glayzer.

New Brighton’s star batsman Luke Proctor was the next to go when Currency sent him back to the pavilion for a duck, having him caught by Matty Glayzer in the slips. The drama continued with two more wickets being taken without a run being scored.

Currency bowled John While and had overseas player Upal Fernando caught by Caunce for a single.

In between Currency’s overs, Farrell nipped in to clean bowl John While.

The tide was in full flow and it wasn’t long before New Brighton drowned, with Currency and Farrell taking one more wicket each to see the innings fold at 59 all out.

A fascinating fact to emerge when the bowling figures were analysed was that Currency and Farrell bowled their first five overs each without taking a wicket for 27 runs and then 8.4 overs for six runs and nine wickets.

With the superb figures of 6-13 off 9.4 overs, Currency was applauded by his teammates and spectators from the field, accompanied by Farrell who boasted figures of 3-20 off nine overs.

For a top-rated side such as New Brighton to collapse from being 53-2 to 59 all out was quite extraordinary leaving players and spectators with an eventful game that will stay in the memory for a long time.

In reply, the march to victory was a formality as John Armstrong (24 not out) reached his 600th run of the season, Michael Jones (14), Andy Baybutt (13 not out) and 12 extras saw the total reach 63 for the loss of just one wicket.

It was a fine nine-wicket victory that saw Ormskirk establish a 28 point lead over New Brighton in the Liverpool & District Cricket League’s Premier Division table with barely a few weeks left in the campaign.

comments powered by Disqus