How we use Cookies

Kirk's quality sees 24 point lead opened up

16 year old newcomer Jones makes invaluable contribution

Nicky Caunce bowling - Ormskirk Cricket Club

Ormskirk won the toss against Lytham and elected to bat on a firm wicket and a fast outfield.

John Armstrong and Andy Baybutt opened promisingly until Armstrong lost his wicket to a catch off the bowling of opening bowler Richard Openshaw with the score at 28.

His dismissal brought Ormskirk captain Ian Robinson to the crease to join Baybutt.

This partnership put on 56 runs before it was broken with the loss of Baybutt’s wicket to a catch by Dominic O’Brien, off the bowling of Anthony Mulligan.

The score was 84-2 when Baybutt was dismissed and nobody could imagine that the next two overs would result in the loss of two more wickets without a run being scored.

First it was Robinson to go, who had scored 27, when he was bowled by Mulligan and then it was the turn of Gary Knight to return to the Pavilion by giving a catch to the slips without scoring.

This meant that the total had gone from 84-1 to 84-4 in the space of three overs and put a new complexion on the game.

Matty Glayzer and 16-year-old Michael Jones had the unenviable task on knuckling down and steading the boat.

It was the 16-year-old who particularly impressed at this stage as he defended resolutely against a now upbeat attack and dispatched loose bowling to the boundary on 5 occasions.

In his innings he lost the partnerships of Glayzer (caught at 15) and Simon Kerrigan (run out at 11) before he lost his own wicket adjudged lbw off the bowling of Daniel Edwards.

It was Michael’s first innings of any significance since coming into the first team and his contribution was invaluable.

The score stood at 147-7 when he lost his wicket and the tail end batsmen were left with a big task to bring the score up to a challenging target for Lytham to win the game and overtake Ormskirk at the top of the table.

It was Gavin Griffiths who made the major contribution from the tail enders with a score of 39, to include 6 boundaries.

He was helped on the way by a quick fire 14 from Liam Hurt and a steadfast 11 from Martyn Farrell before being caught off the bowling of Luke Williams.

The innings came to a close with the score at 206, leaving Lytham, with a strong batting line up, a realistic chance of winning the game.

The Lytham innings started briskly with star batsman Alex Davies hitting 3 quick boundaries but Gavin Griffiths then stepped in with a fine delivery to have him caught in the slips by John Armstrong.

It was a prize wicket.

The two opening bowlers Gavin Griffiths and Nick Caunce enjoyed themselves with an opening attack and had the Lytham batsmen in deep trouble unable to get the ball away and losing the first 4 wickets with only 30 runs on the board.

It was a fine spell of fast opening bowling with Nicky Caunce producing his best spell of the season so far claiming crucial wickets.

The spinners then took over from the fast men and Simon Kerrigan (who fortunately was available in the absence of the injured Dane Currency) and Martyn Farrell restricted any meaningful Lytham progress.

They were both very difficult to get away and their accuracy was rewarded with wickets, taking Ormskirk to within a winning distance.

Kerrigan took 3-24 and Farrell 1-26.

With victory in sight Robinson turned to Caunce to return to the attack and he responded magnificently taking the 2 last wickets with almost unplayable balls.

He completed his day by celebrating victory with the great bowling figures of 9 overs, 4 maidens, 5 wickets for 11 runs.

Victory left Ormskirk at the top of the table by a margin of 24 points.

Next Saturday new promoted Rainhill visit Brook Lane.

comments powered by Disqus