How we use Cookies

Knight injury a massive blow for Kirk's title quest

Top scorer Knight suffers hamstring injury

Ormskirk Cricket Club - Gary Knight top scorer

Sitting at the top of the league going into the second half of the season, Ormskirk’s visit to Wallasey was seen as a chance to further the gap between themselves and their main rivals at the half way stage.

After winning the toss and electing to bat Ormskirk lost their first wicket when Andy Baybutt, who had on the previous night scored an undefeated century in T20 cup game against Leigh, was bowled without troubling the scorer.

John Armstrong, with young Michael Jones, batted steadily to overcome the initial setback taking the score along to 66 before Armstrong lost his wicket when caught off the spin bowling of Wallasey’s Sri Lankan bowler Bala Lackman.

The score reached 95 when Jones suffered the same fate as Armstrong being caught at slip off the same bowler having reached a personal tally of 31 runs.

When Gary Knight came to the crease nobody could have anticipated the impact he would have on the game and possibly on the rest of the season.

He quickly showed what an accomplished batsman he is by settling down to master the unrelenting spin attack whilst losing the partnerships of Ian Robinson (12) and Jonny Glayzer (14) on his way to his half century.

He continued to hold the fort whilst losing partners until he himself lost his wicket to a run out with the innings coming to a close.

In a desperate attempt to make his ground Gary fell in agony clutching the back of his leg, giving a clear indication that he had badly pulled a hamstring muscle.

This was particularly disturbing as very recently he has been awarded his first professional contract with Glamorgan County Cricket Club, not to mention the tremendous loss he will be to OCC in forthcoming fixtures.

He had made an invaluable 82 runs towards a closing score of 212 all out.

Two problems faced Ormskirk skipper Ian Robinson as he led his team out to field.

The first one he had no control over as it had started to rain but the second one he was able to solve in calling on Jonny Glayzer to fill the wicket keeping gap left due to Gary Knight being hospitalised with his injury.

After a short break for the rain, play resumed with Wallasey making a promising response scoring 52 runs before the in-form Nicky Caunce caught and bowled opener Greg Beaver and with the next ball took the wicket of Mark Williams who was caught behind by stand in keeper Jonny Glayzer, leaving Wallasey at 52-2.

Robinson turned to his spin bowlers Martyn Farrell and Dane Currency to take quick wickets as grey clouds ominously gathered and with some success.

Between them they took 5 wickets but veteran batsman Neil Cross resisted the attack to remain at the wicket scoring 66 runs before the rain came and the match petered out into a draw.

The loss of winning points was a set back but losing Gary Knight to injury was the major downside to the afternoon’s events.

To be without such a talented cricketer at such a crucial time in the season is a major blow to the Club. Although main rivals New Brighton won at Lytham, Ormskirk still remain top of the league by a gap of 24 points. Next Saturday OCC entertain Birkenhead Park at Brook Lane and on Sunday a big crowd is expected as the Club hosts the semi finals and Final of the League T20 Championship.

comments powered by Disqus